Higher Trapp House

Higher Trapp House Wedding Venue

Civil Ceremonies

Which room would we have our Civil Wedding Ceremony in?

The Pendle Suite is licensed for civil weddings. We can also hold ceremonies outside in the Wedding Pagoda between 1st April and 30th September, if the weather is unsuitable on the day we can make arrangements for the ceremony to be held in the Pendle Suite.

How many guests can we invite for a Civil Wedding Ceremony?

We are licensed to hold Civil Wedding Ceremonies for up to 120 guests.

Do we have to pay any extra for the Civil Wedding Ceremony?

There are no additional facility fees to pay Higher Trapp House, but there will be a fee to pay directly to the registrar in order for them to conduct the ceremony for you.

Do we have to book the registrar separately?

Yes, it is a legal requirement that you contact the Registrar separately and ensure they are available to conduct a Civil Wedding Ceremony on the date you have chosen. This can be done up to a year in advance. We will give you the contact details of the local registrar when you come for a show-round.

How long does a Civil Ceremony take?

A Civil Ceremony normally takes around 25 minutes, a little longer if you include readings or music.

What does a Humanist Ceremony involve?

A Humanist Ceremony is a celebration rather than a legal ceremony and can be carried out anywhere within the House or the grounds. If you have a humanist ceremony you will also need to arrange to be legally married with the local Registrar.

Can we use the Church in the village?

Yes, you will need to contact the vicar to discuss the arrangements and check availability. We will give you the contact details of the Church and vicar when you come for a show-round.


What is the maximum number of guests we can have for the Wedding Breakfast?

We can fit 120 guests for your wedding breakfast in the Pendle Suite.

What time can we arrive at the House on our Wedding Day?

Exclusive hire of the House starts at 12.00pm. We normally recommend the bride arrives from 11.30am with whoever she’s getting ready with and then the groom and any other guests can arrive from 12.30pm. That way we can ensure the bride is out of sight before anyone else arrives! Please note guestrooms will be available from 3pm.

What do we need to bring to the venue prior to the wedding day?

You can drop off table plans, name cards, favours etc. before your wedding and also your dress and suits if you’d like to. Please note that as we offer exclusive use, only a limited number of drop off visits are available. Our function manager who will be looking after your wedding on the day, will contact you before the day to arrange an appointment to meet you and for you to drop off your items.

Do you allow children at the House?

Yes, we welcome children of all ages to the House but ask that they are supervised at all times.

Do you have any high chairs we can use?

Yes, we have high chairs which you are welcome to use.

Can we have lunch at the House whilst we are getting ready?

Yes, we can provide a sandwich lunch for you while you are getting ready. This would need to be ordered in advance.

What time do we need to leave the House the next day?

We serve breakfast at 8.30am-10am and all rooms will need to be vacated by 11am.

Will I need a microphone for the speeches? If so, do I have to provide my own?

The natural acoustics of the room provide good amplification for most people making a speech, however a microphone and PA system can be arranged at an extra cost if you feel this may be needed.

Can you provide an easel to hold our table plan?

Yes, we provide an easel which can hold your table plan.

What time do we have to finish the party?

In order to conform with our Premises License and out of consideration for local residents, all wedding parties must finish by 1am.

Can we decorate our own napkins?

You can as long as we know in advance so that we can ensure they are ready for you to collect and decorate before your wedding.

When do I have to confirm final numbers?

We need your final numbers 8 weeks prior to your wedding for your day and evening reception.

Do you have a cloakroom we can use?

Yes, this is located next to the toilet facilities.

Do you provide children’s entertainment?

Following discussions with yourself we can arrange this at an extra cost.

Can you recommend any local suppliers? (florist, photographer etc.)

When you come for a show-round we will give you a comprehensive contact list with details of local suppliers such as photographers, florists, cake makers etc.

Can my photographer come to the House before the wedding to look round?

Yes, but please make an appointment before hand.

Do you recommend having a break between the day and the evening?

We strongly recommend that your daytime reception rolls into your evening party without a break. In our experience, a lull in the day can impact on the enjoyment of a wedding, however our event managers can advise you on what is the best time for the evening guests to arrive.

Is the House lit from the outside at night time?

Yes, the front and back of the House is lit by floodlighting at night.

Do I have to lay the name cards etc. out on the morning of our wedding or can you do that for us?

We can lay the table with your name places, favours, menus etc. as long as they are given to us in table order. We will lay these out for you on the morning of your wedding.

Is there disabled access?

Yes, we have step-free access to the indoor and outdoor areas and bedrooms.

Can we have fireworks?

Unfortunately we do not allow fireworks to be let off within the grounds of the house. This is due to the close proximity of residential areas.

Can we launch Chinese lanterns?

Unfortunately we don’t allow Chinese lanterns to be launched as the debris impacts on our local residents and farmland. It also causes harm to local livestock. This ruling is in line with recommendations from the Country Land Association.

Can we have candles around the House?

Candles can be used on the tables as long as they are in a safe candle holder.

Can we have confetti or rose petals?

Absolutely – but we allow the throwing of confetti outside in the grounds only and this must be natural or biodegradable. Rose petals can be thrown in certain areas of the house.

Food and Wine

Can we have a menu tasting session?

Food and drink is a big part of your big day. We offer a complimentary tasting of your chosen menu, which will be taken in our restaurant on a date of your choice

Do you cater for special dietary requirements?

Yes, as long as we know in advance then we can cater for most dietary needs.

What age do you classify a child?

Anyone upto age 12 is classified as a child.

Can we bring our own wine in?

Wine and champagne must be purchased through the Higher Trapp House and we don’t offer a corkage service. If there is something specific you would like to offer to your guests which isn’t on our drinks list we will be happy to try and source it on your behalf.

Can we taste the wine before we select it?

Yes, you can taste up to four of the wines from the wine list at your exclusive menu tasting evening in the restaurant.


Do you have a Bridal Suite?

We have a dedicated bridal suite situated in the main House.

Where does the bride normally get ready?

Most brides choose to get ready in the Girlie Room as it has plenty of mirrors, lots of space and its own bathroom. The Bride can arrive from 11.30am on the day to get ready.

How many people can stay overnight in the House?

We have 29 rooms (including the Bridal Suite) which are all included in our “all inclusive wedding package” for your guests to use. If you’d like you can charge your guests for using these bedrooms – which will be credited to your final wedding invoice. NB: 16 bedrooms are included in our “Small and Intimate” package.

Can we bring our own cots and / or bedding?

Z beds or cots must be booked for children or additional guests staying in the bedrooms however parents may bring their own travel cot and bedding for babies under 3 years old.

Can we stay over the night before our wedding?

As we offer exclusive use of the House for weddings we cannot guarantee use of the venue until 12pm on the day. You can choose to hire the House the day before your wedding for a pre-wedding party if you’d like to. Please enquire for further details.

Can my guests call independently to book a bedroom?

The bride and groom may co-ordinate the booking of all bedrooms that are required if they wish. Alternatively, we are able to take bedroom bookings from individual guests.

Can I charge my guests for their bedroom?

Yes, between you and your wedding planner you can decide on the rates you wish to charge your guests – payment for which will reduce your final wedding bill.

Can we have breakfast in bed?

Yes, the happy couple can have breakfast in bed complimentary – this is a chargeable option for your other guests. For all other guests breakfast is served in Fitzy’s restaurant the following morning, from 8.30am – 10am.

Do you have other hotels / B&B’s locally?

Yes, there are plenty of other hotels and B&B’s locally. We will give you the contact details of all local accommodation when you book.

Booking Process

When can we come and have a look round the House?

We would be delighted to show you round Higher Trapp House to bring to life what we can offer you for your special day. You can make a booking online – just click on Book Showround.

What deposit do I have to pay when I confirm a date?

You can reserve a date by making a booking online – using the availability calendar. Bookings require a £250 deposit to secure the date.

What are the deposit requirements?

Once you’ve paid your initial £250 deposit your date is then held for up to 6 weeks. During this period you’ll be issued with a wedding contract which once signed requires a further deposit of £750. This will mean that you will have in total a £1,000 deposit payment towards your wedding.

The deposit schedule is then as follows:

25% of the total cost should be paid 12 months prior to the wedding 50% of the total cost should be paid 6 months prior to the wedding 75% of the total cost should be paid 3 months prior to the wedding 100% of the total cost should be paid 4 weeks prior to the wedding All other extra charges should be paid on departure.

Contact Details

Higher Trapp House
Trapp Lane, Simonstone,
Burnley. BB12 7QW

01282 772 781

Want more information?

Download brochure